All because two people fell in love...

We met in February 1989, started dating in May, and got married in September. And Josh came *almost* 11 months later, just in case y'all were wondering. And then no more came. We waited, and waited, and then Lauren decided to make her debut in May 1995 (5 weeks early), and then Kayley 1997, Jacob 1998, Krissy 2001, Lindsey 2004 & Joey 2006. We lived in Texas until 2005, and then we moved to Arkansas, just about 25 miles north of Texarkana, Texas. Fortunately all my children are Texans (and my handsome husband) because Texans are just cool. Wish I was a Texan... but husband had to settle with a California gal, which I think is pretty cool too.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

One day I will live at the beach

When I was a kid in SE Alabama, we went to Florida every year. When I was about 11, we went to Panama City Beach. It was our last summer in the south as in December 1981 we moved to Alaska, never to go back to Florida again. That summer we went to this amusement park. There was another one too, called Petticoat Junction, which we passed but didn't go too. And yes, these were the names of them both, because I looked it up.
I didn't get these pictures in order, but just bear with me as I tell you about them. In March 1986 my parents took us to Six Flags over Texas in Dallas. I went again in May 1989, and again in August 1993. Josh has been a few times, and Lauren too. Just before Josh left on his mission, he and Lauren went and met up with his Uncle Scott (my baby brother) and cousins Brandon & Rebekah. They plan on going again after Josh gets back. Kayley thinks she may not be so scared now.
My Dad grew up in San Jose, CA. He and family along with his aunts, uncles and cousins always went to Capitola, a beach town just south of Santa Cruz. Many years later, a house was purchased close to the beach where the cousins would now come with their kids. It was great memories. I am going to search for a Capitola postcard and see if I can see the house.
Because my Dad was in the Army, we moved more than his cousins/family, but we didn't move as much as other Army families. In June 1985, we left Alaska and headed to Texas. We went to Gramma's house in Los Gatos, and only visited Capitola a few days during our visit. We had to go visit Grammie (Hawkes) Jensen in Bakersfield & Grampa Pritchard in Costa Mesa too before heading on to Texas. My Dad's half-sister, who is 15 months older than me, took me to Newport Beach... which was so cool! I was hoping to see a movie star, like Rick Shroder, or Jason Bateman or geez...
I don't know. Just a movie star! LOL!!
The next summer on July 4, 1986 we headed to Capitola for a whole 3 weeks!! Dad took a whole month off... a week to drive there and back from Texas, and a whole 3 weeks at the beach in Capitola!! I loved it!! I missed Florida beaches, so this was going to be so cool!! Dad and Mom took us to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk one evening. I really don't remember much about it. I do remember the log ride, but not the roller coaster. I guess it just wasn't something exciting because usually I remember a lot detail about things.
In 1985 when we were heading to Texas, and finally got to Costa Mesa to visit Grampa Pritchard, my parents took us to Disney Land on my 15th birthday. It opened 17 July 1955, exactaly 30 years before. I remember watching the Disney Land 30th Anniversary on the TV at my Grampa's, and I wanted to go so bad. Ricky, Jason and all of those movie stars were there!! I wanted to be there. But we went the next day, and it was fun. But only 1 day. You can't see Disney Land in 1 day. But we didn't the *must dos* like Small World, Pirates, Haunted House, Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Dumbo, teacups, merry-go-round, and all the cool little kid story rides...
Peter Pan was my favorite.
And the whole time we lived in Bryan, we never did once make it to Kemah Boardwalk in Houston area. Never!! Always planned on it, and NASA, but never did. We only went to Galveston 2 times while living in Bryan.
But I do plan on going to the beach more. I love the beach. Want to go to Gulf Shores, AL or back to Ft. Walton Beach. I loved Galveston so much last summer. I wanted to stay forever! I think one day when I am old and need to be in a retirement home, I want to live at the one in Galveston.

0 Read What I Wrote: