All because two people fell in love...

We met in February 1989, started dating in May, and got married in September. And Josh came *almost* 11 months later, just in case y'all were wondering. And then no more came. We waited, and waited, and then Lauren decided to make her debut in May 1995 (5 weeks early), and then Kayley 1997, Jacob 1998, Krissy 2001, Lindsey 2004 & Joey 2006. We lived in Texas until 2005, and then we moved to Arkansas, just about 25 miles north of Texarkana, Texas. Fortunately all my children are Texans (and my handsome husband) because Texans are just cool. Wish I was a Texan... but husband had to settle with a California gal, which I think is pretty cool too.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Christmas Dresses and a Pair of Khakis



I always remember getting things that matched as my sisters. Being the oldest, and with the next sister 4 yrs younger than me, it wasn't all the time. My sisters Heather & Hilary always had matching things, or at least I think they did. I do know that my mom would sometimes attempt to make us Easter dresses for all of us girls. I think the first dress I ever remember her making me was when I was 10. She made this red dress, and it was like pioneer-style up on top. Had the lace and all that, but it wasn't a long dress. I really liked that dress. Mom would put my hair back into a bun, and have this lacy comb thing that she would put on, and I thought I looked cool.

The next Easter Mom made the pink gingham dresses. Mine was the same style as that red one, and the 3 other girls had pinafores to go with them, or at least that is what Mom called them. It basically was an eyelet dress sleeveless thing over the main dress. I don't know if my baby sister had one, but she did have a bonnet to go with hers. I thought they were cool. I think Mom made herself a matching skirt too. Not to sure about that.

Then we moved to Alaska, and the first Easter there was still snow on the ground. I guess Mom thought we would freeze if we didn't wear long johns to church like the boys could. So that year she made us long purple dresses. Oh, how I hated that dress! I was 11!! No 11 yr old wore a long dress, and certainly nobody on earth wore long dresses in 1982! Heck, I was almost in Young Women’s! Can you see me making Lauren & Kayley wear a long dress? Oh, it was soooooooooo not cool!!

Mom started making her a matching skirt too, but never got done. I think she realized that they were ugly. I mean the material, and I do remember that material, was like very thin, and the dresses were short-sleeve! What was the point of that? Sorry, Mom! LOL!!

That Christmas, after I was 12, Mom again made sure we were matching. I guess she decided dresses were too hard to make (thank goodness!), but we did get matching nightgowns. Long-sleeve white gowns with red trim and panda bears on them. I have to admit, they were okay, as I didn't have to wear them in public. Mom does have the picture somewhere; don't know if Hilary can get it from Dad's scanner, and put it on here. It would be hilarious!

Since Kristen & Lindsey are close in age, they do like to match. Shawn's mom and I found these dresses at Dillard’s. They had bigger sizes for the bigger girls, but I just couldn't see Lauren & Kayley wearing them. She bought them for the girls, and they thought they were so cool. They wanted me to keep taking their pictures, but they had to leave for church. Lauren was staying the night at Victoria's house (first time I ever let her do it on a Saturday night... what kind of Mother am I?), so she didn't get pics done with her new church clothes. Jacob has his new church clothes on, which are always the same... khaki pants & white shirt. But Josh did do his hair to make it look like his. Kayley is wearing her new dress and black boots. She just about died and went to heaven when she saw she got black boots for Christmas! Lauren did too, and they were cute with her new black skirt, and gold sweater with belt. I'll get a picture of it later.

0 Read What I Wrote: