All because two people fell in love...

We met in February 1989, started dating in May, and got married in September. And Josh came *almost* 11 months later, just in case y'all were wondering. And then no more came. We waited, and waited, and then Lauren decided to make her debut in May 1995 (5 weeks early), and then Kayley 1997, Jacob 1998, Krissy 2001, Lindsey 2004 & Joey 2006. We lived in Texas until 2005, and then we moved to Arkansas, just about 25 miles north of Texarkana, Texas. Fortunately all my children are Texans (and my handsome husband) because Texans are just cool. Wish I was a Texan... but husband had to settle with a California gal, which I think is pretty cool too.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

GiNGeRBReaD HouSeS!

When I was like 7 years old, maybe younger, I remember my mom making gingerbread houses. She used real candy, and I remember them being so cute, and so dang the coolest things ever! I am sure I was about 7 or 8, and that my mom had her 5th or 6th child, and gingerbread houses were never made again.
For years I have wanted to make them with my kids, but recipe after recipe I found I had to roll out the dough, etc... to me, just a chore!! But for the last few years I have seen the pre-made ones by Wilton at the stores. I would debate, and end up not getting them because I was to cheap to buy them. This year I went to Texas-side Walmart, and they were $3 off on Christmas Eve morning. I bought 4. I had just been to Sams, and they had some for $9.99 but they weren't pre-assembled, so I opted not to get those. I get home from Texarkana, and the fun begins! The frosting was made, and visions for the perfect-looking gingerbread house was, well... visioned!
Krissy & Lindsey shared a house to decorated.
Awwwww, so careful with those round candies!
The next "Cake Boss!"
Don't ask what Lauren was thinking about... Kayley trying to be the next Cake Boss too!
Joey sneaking in a bite of frosting...
and loving it!
Ta-Da! The finished gingerbread houses!! They were the centerpiece for our Christmas Day breakfast and dinner. They turned out cute, and the kids really loved doing them. Maybe this will become a Christmas Eve day tradition.

But I will have to either try the ones Sams had, or learn to make my own, because these were the nastiest tasting gingerbread houses & candy that I have ever tasted!! I will never buy the Wilton ones again!! Any good recipes out there?

1 Read What I Wrote:

Jileen said...

I love making gingerbread houses at Christmas - and yours look great!

My mom used to do gingerbread houses with us too but we started using graham crackers after a few years. You can be really creative with the size and shape of your house and the crackers cut fairly well to whatever size you need. We just buys lots of candy at the store (then we can choose what's yummy and what's not). When my mom was here for Christmas we made some but used a hot glue gun to glue the pieces together (we never end up eating the graham crackers later anyway - it's all the about the candy!) Then we just used piped frosting to cover up the glue and put the candy on with. Probably not the traditional way to do it but I didn't have to bake or cut dough and it still allowed our kids to have fun and be creative. Hope that helps!