All because two people fell in love...

We met in February 1989, started dating in May, and got married in September. And Josh came *almost* 11 months later, just in case y'all were wondering. And then no more came. We waited, and waited, and then Lauren decided to make her debut in May 1995 (5 weeks early), and then Kayley 1997, Jacob 1998, Krissy 2001, Lindsey 2004 & Joey 2006. We lived in Texas until 2005, and then we moved to Arkansas, just about 25 miles north of Texarkana, Texas. Fortunately all my children are Texans (and my handsome husband) because Texans are just cool. Wish I was a Texan... but husband had to settle with a California gal, which I think is pretty cool too.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Busy Summer~ long post!

After we got all our jams and jellies made, we had to start thinking more about our summer.  Let me think back here... s0 much happened in our little neck of the woods.  It usually doesn't.

June 15-18 was Girls Camp for Lauren & Kayley near Zwolle, LA.  It was at the Toledo Bend State Park.  Lauren went her 1st year a few years back, and had a blast.  They both had a great time this year.  Because of the reunion, they didn't go home with our YW girls.  Shawn's cousin, Jeri, who lives near there, came to get them since by the time the girls got home, we would already be headed down, and no reason to pack/unpack, etc... all that junk!  ;-)

June 18-20 was the Miller Family Reunion.  It was also at the Toledo Bend State Park.  Nice cabins, A/C, working toilets/showers, swimming pool, canoing, get the picture?  Kids had a great time visiting with cousins.  It was nice to leave so that I could sleep in my own bed the 20th night.  We did attend church in Many, LA.  Very small ward.  Needs people bad.  Loved that all our children, and the other cousins that were there, were there!  Doubled the size of their attendance, and being June/end of quarter... doesn't that count for monies for the next year?  Only reason why they were happy!  LOL!!!

June 25-July 7th, we were in Temple & Killeen.  We went to church in Temple on the 27th, headed to Killeen that night.  Unpacked, and said night-night to Lindsey, as she headed over to Madi's house to stay the night. Next morning, the rest of the kids and I headed to Bryan/College Station and Huntsville.  First to Bryan to drop off Kayley at her friend Cristina's house.  Then to College Station to drop of Jacob & Krissy at their friends Jonathan & Gracie's house.  Then with Joey still strapped in his carseat, he, Lauren & I headed to Huntsville so that Lauren could attend EFY.  She and her friends Preston & Jacy were going to be there too.  Jacy & Lauren were going to be roomies.  We found EFY, exchanged hellos & good-byes with Preston & Jacy's parents, and we were off... back to College Station first to pick up those 2 kiddos, and then over to Bryan where they all swam for an hour at Cristina's awesome pool before we headed back to Killeen.  No joke, it must of rained all the way there, and for the next 7 days!  It was so not fun even though I didn't have a swimsuit... but kids couldn't swim hardly at all.  On the 2nd I went back to Bryan, stayed the night with Jean Hughes, and was up early the next morning to be in Huntsville @ 7am check-out.  Lauren and I made our way back to Bryan just in time for the Bryan 1st Ward Pancake Breakfast at Austin's Colony Park, and then went home.  That afternoon my sisters and I had already planned to go eat at Cheddars in Harker Heights.  Just not my sisters, but my Mom and sisters-in-laws too!  I was running late though because I just couldn't get my hair to stay dry and me to quit sweating, which turns out to probably have been my Cymbalta mostly that was affecting it all.  After sitting in front of the fan forever, I was ready to go, and got there by 1:20 or so.  So unlike me!  I am always on time!  My mom went out to greet me so I would know where they were sitting, and I get back to the corner, and SURPRISE! Balloons, the sad birthday song being sung, and everyone clapping and cheering... WHY?

Because I was turning


My birthday wasn't exactly on that date (it's the 18th!), but because ALL OF US WERE THERE (minus Sunde because she lives in Boise), they decided to throw me a girls-only 40th birthday party!  It was so not like them to do this!!  Or at least to me!!  I was so happy!  I had never had a surprise party before!  I was like a little kid!  I was gitty and all!!  The "joke" gift is that everyone got me Aqua Net hairspray.  They all know I still use it, and that I go through a can a week, so they made sure I wouldn't have to buy any for the next 2 months!  Fortunately for me, I have cut my hair even shorter, and so now my hairspray is last 2 weeks at a time!  Going this rate, it may be Thanksgiving before having to buy more!  LOL!!!  The 4th of July was Sunday, and Fast Sunday with my parents.  After church, we went back to their house where hanged out until dinner... tacos as usual!  We then went over to the hill to watch the fireworks on Ft. Hood.  I don't know how people enjoy it there, because I didn't!  We have always gone on Ft. Hood, but supposedly no one wanted to go this year since it was on a Sunday, etc...  My kids were very disappointed at not being able to see the fireworks good, or hear the patriotic songs.  I told my kids for now on, Sunday or not, if we are in Killeen visiting over 4th of July, we will go to Ft. Hood!

On the way home on the 7th, we went to the "back way" of east Texas.  They way I hate going via Corsiscana, Athens, up to Canton, over to Mineola (my great-great gramma died there) and then up & over in the Quitman/Winnsboro area to drop Lauren off at Preston & Jacy's house so that she could attend the Gilmer Stake Youth Conference with them.  Plan was to get up early Sunday morning, and drive to Quitman Ward by 10am to attend church with them.  Well, we didn't make it.  Shawn had driven the Suburban to get a lab puppy on Saturday, and blah blah blah... ended up not getting the lab that day, but got to come home early... but he didn't make it out of Shreveport.  A bolt fell off the passenger side back brake, and he was stuck there until I could get down there with some tools, etc... So Sunday morning, no church nor Suburban for me... as it was now sitting at the tire center in Ashdown.  As soon as Shawn got home from work on Sunday night, I headed to Mt. Pleasant to pick up Lauren from the Lloyd's.  We got home about midnight or so.  It was great though.  Had a fun talk with her about Youth Conference and EFY, since when I picked her up, she slept all the way home, and then crashed with Rebekah the rest of the time.

July 17-22 we headed to Galveston, Tx to spend 5 fun-filled days at the beach with Brett's family.  They rented the house, I provided all the food/cooking.  The house was perfect for our families (minus the few lemons it provided here and there), and no way could anyone else even have stayed with us.  Anymore then it would have been way over-crowded.  We were right on the beach... where we could send kids outside, and we adults could watch from the comfort of the home and a/c.  Of course, I headed to the beach Tuesday morning/afternoon... and got burned!  Still peeling, and still itching from it bad.  I have decided that I will stay white for the rest of my life, and if I was ever to get skin cancer, it's because of that day, or all the times I was a stupid teenager and not wear sunscreen EVER!  I just can't explain how fun it was to be with Brett and Cindy and their family.  We went to the Galveston Ward, and the kids met more friends!  I will post pictures as I get them off Facebook and into a folder on my computer.  We had to leave the 22nd as Shawn had to be at work the 23rd, and Lauren had our stake Youth Conference the 23-24th.  I had to have her at our building at 7:30am.

July 24th was the Bi-Ward Pioneer Party at the church.  New Boston was invited too.  Dressed the kids up like pioneers, and off we went.  Really no one had seen us since June 10th, so all was happy that we were home.  While it was nice to be back in our ward the 25th, I couldn't help but feel a bit sad coming back to a small ward, when for the last 3 weeks of church we had been in good-size wards with lots of kids/youth for my kids.  I have really missed that for my kids... Josh had it until we moved here when he was 15.  

We have been planning on going back to Temple & Killeen before school starts back up August 19th, but I just don't know if we are.  If we do, it will be a last minute trip.  Pictures to come soon!

0 Read What I Wrote: