All because two people fell in love...

We met in February 1989, started dating in May, and got married in September. And Josh came *almost* 11 months later, just in case y'all were wondering. And then no more came. We waited, and waited, and then Lauren decided to make her debut in May 1995 (5 weeks early), and then Kayley 1997, Jacob 1998, Krissy 2001, Lindsey 2004 & Joey 2006. We lived in Texas until 2005, and then we moved to Arkansas, just about 25 miles north of Texarkana, Texas. Fortunately all my children are Texans (and my handsome husband) because Texans are just cool. Wish I was a Texan... but husband had to settle with a California gal, which I think is pretty cool too.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Beware! Fireants are back!

Poor Joey. He loves being outside, and I love for him to be outside too. It keeps him out of stuff, but the fireants are back! We've had tons of rain, and that's what fireants love! The love weird stuff, and can survive anywhere... water & electrical outlets! Crazy! Maybe we should put the 3 together? Yesterday he was outside in the front porch/walkway (look at slideshow below) after it had dried up a bit from the storms the night before, and next thing I know, he is crying. Go check, and he has ants all over him. Poor little hands & legs have a few bites on them. These ants are not nice at all! Evil, evil they are! They are 1 of 2 bugs that I hate (the other: roaches!)
When I was younger, my family lived in the SE corner of Alabama. We were right on the border of FL & GA. We used to have them there too. I remember one day that my sisters were playing at the park across the street, and my sister, Hilary, got pushed down into a fireant bed. I think she was about 4. They attacked her little legs. I know it had to hurt! I've been bit a few times here, and they can leave some scars! The map shows where fireants are at now. My father-in-law said that 20 years ago fireants started showing up here. They are moving north & west. Be prepared! And nothing kills them except fire! ETA: Just read this on FoxNews (Roger Gold mentioned in the article is LDS... used to be in his stake), but I sure don't want them here either! There was a fireant spray that was really good many years ago, but I think FDA or something like that pulled it. Began with a 'D'. It was some great stuff. We bought as much as we could before it was pulled at Lowes. Unfortunately it's no longer available.
And like I said before, the ants do like water. I've watched the Discovery Channel before on fireants. If you ever see it on, watch it. It's very interesting! They can form a ball of ants, and can move in the water by continuing to move. It's crazy! I think it was last summer or the summer before, that when we were at my parents (who have a pool), the kids jumped in, and almost immediately started getting bit by ants. There was a ball of ants in my parents pool! We got them out, but not before we got bit! Ouch!


2 Read What I Wrote:

Kenna said...

I remember living in Texas and accidentally sitting on a fireant bed. You only make that mistake once! Hope Joey is okay.

Maria said...

I hate fire ants too. Just yesterday I accidentally stood in a pile by our mail box and got bit. Lets set fire to the whole state. :) jk

Bytheway- I don't work on Friday so I will be able to go to Laurens party. See ya there