All because two people fell in love...

We met in February 1989, started dating in May, and got married in September. And Josh came *almost* 11 months later, just in case y'all were wondering. And then no more came. We waited, and waited, and then Lauren decided to make her debut in May 1995 (5 weeks early), and then Kayley 1997, Jacob 1998, Krissy 2001, Lindsey 2004 & Joey 2006. We lived in Texas until 2005, and then we moved to Arkansas, just about 25 miles north of Texarkana, Texas. Fortunately all my children are Texans (and my handsome husband) because Texans are just cool. Wish I was a Texan... but husband had to settle with a California gal, which I think is pretty cool too.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Part of living in a small town

Maybe it's because I was so "sheltered" that I didn't see how some people's lives were when I was growing up, and even living in Bryan. I loved being in Bryan because well, I was kept busy. Seems like I was always on the go, and I didn't have time to "talk with the locals" much (even though, my bestest friend, Laura, was born & raised in Bryan), I didn't see a lot of other people's lives outside my church circle of friends. Does that even make sense?
Since moving here, I have been more involved with the "locals" because there aren't a lot of church members that live here, and if I don't want to go nuts by living here, I need to get out. Yes, I know most of the girls that work at Sonic (how sad is that?), and they know me (even sadder!), and know what I want before I even order (Ok, I am pathetic). 2 of the girls that work there are there because their husbands do not make a lot of money. One is married because she found out she was pregnant, and I'm not sure how long the other has been married, but she does have a little girl. She is also pregnant. Both have been telling me their sad stories on how they don't have money to buy clothes for their babies, their moms not here or will not help them. I'm pretty sure they weren't trying to do a pity-party for them, but I felt bad. I mean, how sad! I went to the local resale shop, and found some baby clothes. I mean TONS of nice stuff. I picked through them all (took about an hour) and found these mamas clothes for their babies. I wanted them to look nice, so no stains. I had some clothes that I traded in, and with that money, the money that one of the resale shop ladies gave me ("that's why God sent us Christians"... I was embarrassed because sometimes I feel I'm not), and the discount the owner gave me when she found out what I was doing, I've only had to pay $21! I know a pack of 5 onesies at Walmart is almost $10! I got loads of nice onesies for both of them. I gave them the clothes today, and they were so touched. They were not expecting them at all. I hope they will use them. I am glad that I could help these mamas because I hate to see any newborn baby, no matter what the circumstance is, go without clothing. Newborns go through a lot. Another mom here in town just had her 5th child. She has 2 older children Lauren & Kayley's age, and 2 smaller one besides the newborn. I've talked with her a few times, and knew she was due this month. I have been waiting for Kayley to come home from school to tell me that the baby has been born. She did this past Monday, so tonight I am taking her family dinner. She has asked me before about church (they do go here). I think tonight I may talk to her a bit more about it.
I want people to know that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and that I am not weird or some crazy Mormon. I want them to think of me when they hear something about the Mormon church. I want them to think how I helped them, and how we are good people. My friend, Suzanne, did a blog about that too, and I am so glad that our church was there to help those people in Louisiana.

1 Read What I Wrote:

Anonymous said...

I'm not exactly a Bryan "local" but I am so glad you let me in your "circle" while you lived here!!! I enjoyed your friendship and your family so much while you lived here!