All because two people fell in love...

We met in February 1989, started dating in May, and got married in September. And Josh came *almost* 11 months later, just in case y'all were wondering. And then no more came. We waited, and waited, and then Lauren decided to make her debut in May 1995 (5 weeks early), and then Kayley 1997, Jacob 1998, Krissy 2001, Lindsey 2004 & Joey 2006. We lived in Texas until 2005, and then we moved to Arkansas, just about 25 miles north of Texarkana, Texas. Fortunately all my children are Texans (and my handsome husband) because Texans are just cool. Wish I was a Texan... but husband had to settle with a California gal, which I think is pretty cool too.

Monday, April 07, 2008

Who loved his talk?

I sure did! And especially the part where he said that we didn't need to have our children involved in so many activities! I loved it! I do not feel bad anymore that I can't afford to put my kids in gymnastics, cheerleading, soccer, art classes, cooking classes, dance classes, baseball, basketball, etc... He said involving your kids in to many activities takes out the family time. I so agree! I have a 17 yr old, I should know! He plays soccer, and works part-time plus with seminary, school and Wednesday nights/Scouts, there are sometimes I see him for a minute or 2 throughout the day, and that's just with 1 child! It is nice that he does drive, but for the rest I would have to drive all the time. I would have to be in the car more than I am now, which is a lot! I know one little girl who is involved in a lot of things, and one day her mom told her it was time to go to the next activity, and she flat out told her mom that she just wanted to stay home! Are we putting our kids in all these activities because they want to, or because we are living "our" dream? I let my girls do gymnastics one year, and to tell you the truth, I was flat broke. I could not afford it. But I wanted them to fit in. I was to prideful (is that it?) to take them out earlier when I knew I couldn't do it. I had to let my kids know that I can't afford everything. Even if I could afford gymnsastics, I need to watch my car driving since gas is so expensive. 2 things that are very important who need to make sure there is gas for them:

  • Shawn~ to make sure he gets to work in Shreveport 3-4-5x a week.
  • Josh~ to make sure he gets to seminary 5x a week in Texarkana (almost done!)
  • Everything else can wait!

I am glad I can be a stay-at-home mom. Even if I do complain sometimes. It's hard. That's what he said yesterday too. I made sure Shawn heard that. It's not easy. I am glad that I can brag about my homemade cinnamon rolls (BTW... no picture was taken before they were devoured!) and make my brother jealous because I can make them! Hehe!!

As I have said before, Ashdown isn't my favorite place in the world, but it's my home. Sometimes I feel left out because we don't get invited to parties or get-togethers with other members who live in Texarkana. But, that's okay. I just need to remember Elder Ballard's talk, and realize that my family probably needs me more.

1 Read What I Wrote:

The Trees said...

I also loved Elder Ballard's talk. He sure said alot I needed to hear. It's nice to have your feelings validated, that we don't have to do it all or provide it all. I love conference time, even when I am chastized a little.
Sounds like you are all busy and having fun as always. Good to hear.